Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday, June 10, 2012



Meant to go to church today, didn't feel good. Stayed home, recovered for a while. Ken went to Office Depot, took his laptop and monitor with him...the monitor decided to "quit" on him a couple of weeks ago. He spent yesterday or Friday (can't remember) going back and forth to OD to try to get a new cable for it because that's the message that came up. Never got anything to work. Since our budget will NOT cover a new computer (ha ha), a new monitor (ha ha again), it's either do something about the one he has or do without. So today he took the monitor and computer with him to OD. Sure enough it was the cable - it worked when they plugged it in with the right cable. Problem is, they didn't have one of the cables available in the store for sale. He asked them to sell them the one they used to test his set up - fellow said they wouldn't/couldn't. But, Ken can be pretty insistent and besides, he knows the manager. So his friend, the manager, came back when called and sold him the cable he needed. Now he's doing great -- he has everything all hooked up again and is happy. And I don't have to try to dream up money we don't have.

And speaking of $$. We needed a few things from the store but couldn't spend a dime out of the bank account...we've got $50 left 'til Wednesday and I've got to put gas in the Saturn and go to the doc tomorrow. But we had $18 in Ken's pocket because the original cable he bought at OD the other day didn't work so he took it back...they gave him the refund in cash. I had $2 in my wallet and he took some change with him "just in case." We had put together a list of the few things we needed: 1/2 gallon of milk; one tomato; one box of cornbread mix; one can of pinto beans; one can of chili; small pkg of tortillas; bean dip; juice; hot dogs; grated cheese; 2 2-liter bottles of drinks (store brand diet); and a pkg of fritos (for frito pie). Total came to $20.38!!! We both had many years experience of living on next to nothing so we can pinch a penny hard when we have to. Fortunately we still have meats and veggies in the freezer and pantry so we have plenty until Wednesday. Thank you, Lord, for teaching me to buy more when we DO have money so that there's food when we don't!!

While Ken went to the store I got the "nasty" job of cleaning the hall bathroom! How does a bathroom get so dirty when only two people live in this house???? I don't understand. Oh, well, the hall bathroom is so much easier to clean than the master bathroom - and its next! In the past I kept this bathroom cleaned and didn't let anyone use it - that way I don't have to clean two bathrooms. But now days we keep our bedroom door closed so that Bennie the doxie will stay out of there and off the bed. I'm about ready to go back to reserving this bathroom for times when we have company. Unfortunately it's the bathroom in the house with a tub I can use for my bench. There are lots of days when I feel weak in the mornings - or all day - and have to shower sitting down. I'll think about it.

We elected since it is Sunday that we would not cook for dinner tonight - instead we splurged for pizza -- we can get a 2 meat pizza at our neighborhood place that is big enough to feed the two of us and have pizza left for lunch tomorrow for $9+ including tax. Not too shabby - and we had store brand diet cola with it -- wasn't bad at all.

I know I write like we are paupers, but that's because we MUST live within our budget. The last thing in the world we can do is touch life savings at this point. So we work very hard to stay within the funds allocated. Thank goodness MOST of the time is not as tight as the past month has been! Those months with 5 weeks are killers! Add to that the fact that we had to get some things done that were not budgeted, and it made it tough. But it makes us be creative as well, and makes us appreciate the times when we are able to do something different.

Didn't get anything more than the hall bathroom cleaned today. I want to start on the front bedroom this next week. I've been hanging on to some things that I really need to let go...toys that belonged to my children, toys and coloring books and things that my grandchildren used to play with when they would come over once in a while. Since no one comes any more, there's really no point in keeping anything. And it hurts every time I go in there and see them because I miss them so much. The only way I get thru it is to compartmentalize it in a mental box, close the lid, and mentally set it aside. I always kept that bedroom for "when the grandchildren come," but there have been only two times in all the years that any of the grandchildren spent the night. So, I'm thinking about taking the bed out of that room and getting rid of it and turning that room into something useful. Perhaps I'll put a twin bed or daybed in there or maybe move my sewing room into that room. It has a front window and it would be nice to be able to have natural light and see what's going on outside.

I've been looking online at foreclosed homes, at apartments, and at condos. I keep thinking it would be really nice if we could unload this house and move into somewhere with amenities...such as a condo we own or an apartment. That way we could have the pool, etc., and not the maintenance. And then I saw that the maintenance fee is $250 per month on one of the condo units! The nicer ones are not in our town, but located in Dallas, Irving, Plano, etc. Ken and I would love to live somewhere that is closer to stores/shopping/easier access to freeways, etc., but not sure we want to move to Dallas!!

I checked on condo costs in Colorado Springs -- have no idea how we would ever manage to actually MOVE there unless we got rid of everything we currently own. And am afraid if we do move there that son and family will up and move elsewhere and then we'll be stuck there. I hate having to make these kinds of decisions. Problem is, we have GOT to be somewhere where someone will help us. We have NO help where we are. There are lots of things that just don't get done because neither of us can do them -- sometimes it's simple things like changing light bulbs in ceiling lights, or moving a piece of furniture. It gets really frustrating. Our fence needs work - I can't do it. The dang patio cover needs help - I can't do that either and I certainly can't afford to pay for it to be done. Some days I just want to walk out, get in the car, and drive off and leave it all.

The other thing is, we need a smaller place that is easier for me to take care of. The constant mopping and cleaning of all these wood floors is killing me...and it is constant because of the critter children. Always thought I wanted a BIG kitchen/dining area...now I wish I had my little galley kitchen back with its small eating area. Mopping that sucker took me about 3 seconds!!! And those two tiny bathrooms took hardly any time to clean. Guess the "grass" is always greener.

Oh, well, gotta stop complaining and get busy. Need to finish PowerPoint assignment tonight and submit it for review and hope approval. That way I can take the final test and get my certificate.

Take care...hope Monday brings with it a great week for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.