Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday, June 22, 2012

Wow, do I really want to give up retirement? I slept 'til almost noon today! Of course I didn't go to bed until almost 3! I really need to get a handle on better day and night handling.

Waking up was nice -- had a phone message waiting for me. I had sent in an application to volunteer for a particular organization because it is near and dear to my heart. This group is in the business of assisting at risk and disadvantaged women with learning job skills, completing GED programs, and learning life skills. I volunteered to teach basic computer skills as well as MicroSoft Office Suite - and any other computer skills they believe necessary. Apparently they got the volunteer application but instead of a volunteer position they want to HIRE me! I have a meeting with them on Monday at 9:30 a.m. That makes my heart sing, because it is exactly the type of position I wanted. Because of my career background as well as my personal background, I believe I have something to offer, and this is a perfect fit. I'm hoping it works out. I know it wouldn't be much $$, but thankfully I'm not really looking for much! And the experience and personal growth will be rewarding.

Yesterday Ken and I went out to dinner at Margie's, a hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant on far west Camp Bowie/80 (580?). Ken's family used to go there YEARS ago (at least 45) back when they lived in Western Hills - back when the world was new. It was the first time I had eaten there but even though it doesn't look like much on the inside or outside, the lasagna was wonderful. The only place I've had lasagna anywhere near as good is Olive Garden. Most places taste like yuck.

After dinner we drove around a bit to check out neighborhoods and areas where we might potentially want to live. We checked out Indian Creek, a condo community, of Roaring Springs, and checked out the area around Rivercrest Country Club. As much as we liked Indian Creek, those are going to be a bit pricey. We're just beginning our hunt, but think we have ruled out the Camp Bowie/Westover Hills/Ridglea area. We haven't been able to find condos in the Mansfield or South Arlington area...and the apartments we've seen over there (at our price) are not places where we would want to live. The goal is to downsize, cut back expenses and yet have a decent place to live with enjoyable amenities without the maintenance. We prefer a condo so we can have some choices about what color paint to put on the dang walls!!! And so that we don't have people moving in and out all the time and will know who is living around us.

At some point we are going to put the motorhome up for sale and forget about it. We'll buy ourselves a little trailer of some kind and just be happy with that - or perhaps we'll buy a good tent.

Today, after I received the phone call, we drove over to the location of the organization where I'll be interviewing Monday morning. Easy to find, just lots of traffic between here and there. And how in the world am I ever going to get up early enough to be somewhere by 8 a.m.? Guess I better start practicing.

So much for now...back to cleaning the kitchen before bed. I ran vinegar water thru the coffee pot because it was so nasty the ports were stopped up, so now I have to go clean it so Ken can make coffee in the morning. Goodnight, God bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.