Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday, June 11, 2012 (recipe for taco burrito included)

So far a great day. Went to see my favorite doc, Dr. Bernard Fishbach, at Dallas Nephrology Associates. He follows me as one of his kidney transplant patients. So far so good, and it's been 4+ years. Two issues: Prograf levels were not detectable - must be missing dosages...gotta watch that. Clearance level was still good, blood pressure was acceptable, but gotta get more exercise and get the glucose under control.

Went from there to Tx Workforce Commission. Spent an hour checking jobs on their site. Applied for a couple. Hoping something happens soon. I don't know how I am going to be able to get up every morning to be somewhere by 8 a.m., but I am going to have to. God knows no one else is going to help me. Maybe in 2013 things will be different -- I'll turn 65 and be able to apply for Medicare! It is the cost of insurance that is eating our lunch (AND dinner - lol).

Oh, I got my PowerPoint assignment back - said I missed step #10. I know I didn't because I remember doing it. The instruction was a simple, "hide slide #5." Sure 'nuf I pulled up the assignment I submitted and that slide was hidden. So, I saved it again and resubmitted. If it comes back again I need more explanation about the issue. I'm thinking in reviewing what I submitted the instructor accidentally did an "unhide" on that slide.

My back is screaming, and my left hip and left groin area have chimed in to help in the pain. Walking is an exercise in gritting my teeth. I try to walk in to the doctor's office and to Texas Workforce as natural as possible so that no one is suspecting the pain. Sometimes it's really hard to fake it. Today was one of those days. We are supposed to dress as though going to work when we go to the resource office -- today I dressed nicely but I wore my ortho shoes that look like skechers...so comfortable. I hope Drew doesn't discontinue these!

Printed off a DNR form tonight. I need to get that completed, witnessed and notarized. I'm still not sure I want to sign one - but at least I have one printed out to think about.

That's about it for tonight. I'm really stressing right now. I know we're going to be alright. It's been a very long time since I've had to be worried about things like ends meeting!



We made "tacos" tonight -- my kids always told me that mine are more like burritos, but I don't care - I like 'em! I learned this way of doing these back when I was about 21 or 22 from then-husband's sister who learned it from her MIL, Irene Byrd. So, here's how it's done:

Tacos

1 lb ground beef
Chili Powder - I like lots
Chopped onions - about 1/2
Chopped whatever else you want in it - I use bell peppers as well; some use jalapinos.
Diced Tomato
Salt, Pepper
Garlic - couple of cloves chopped fine or in my case I use garlic powder (and sometimes onion powder as well - shame on me!)
Bean Dip - I use Frito Lay brand (unfortunately DH bought some off brand today)
Grated Cheddar Cheese
Chopped lettuce if you want it - I don't eat it if I can help it - bad for diverticulitis
Corn Tortillas

In non-stick skillet brown ground beef with all the seasonings, garlic (and other veggies other than tomato). If you have taco seasonings, use that. When cooked completely add the can of bean dip and mix well. Cook and mix until heated through.

Place 2-4 tortillas in microwave for 30 or fewer seconds. Put heated tortilla on plate, fill it with meat, tomato, onion, lettuce, cheese and whatever else you want on it. Hubby likes picante sauce on his, along with jalapinos. I don't want either on mine. (I heat only the amount of tortillas to be used immediately because they get cold quickly. Next plate load another bunch of tortillas are heated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.