Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Woke up not feeling well at all!  That was about 5:30 a.m.  Had to rush to cancel my teaching assignment job for today.  Sorry I didn't make that one - it was for my own high school.I was finally able to eat a biscuit (that's about it) about 10 a.m.  The rest of the morning was spent in my chair holding and rocking Luci who wasn't feeling much better than me.  I tried putting her down but she would have none of that.

Yesterday I spent a lazy day working on the big patch Christmas quilt for my older brother, Joe.  I like it - even though it is very simple.  Everything in this quilt came from my stash.  I used straight line stitching for quilting, placing a line of stitches 1/4" either side of the seams.  The binding is rolled from back to front rather than applied; and the corners are squared, not mitered.  This is the method I learned from my family during my growing up years.  I like it much better than applied bindings.

This is the back of the quilt; the lines of stitching show up much better.

I like the polyester batting in this quilt...it makes the squares more puffy.  I considered quilting a Christmas tree in the center of each square but decided to forget about it and move on to the next one on my list.

Tonight I started a big patch quilt for my other brother, Gerald.  Because I'm not feeling so great I haven't gotten far on it.  Patches are cut out - about half the same as on Joe's an about half different ones - whatever is in my stash.  I've sewn together four rows and have two more to go.  Maybe I'll get that done tomorrow.

I would like to use the same fabric for the backing as I used on Joe's, or at least something very similar.  It looks very nice and I like the way the stitching shows up.  I'm planning to quilt Gerald's with straight line quilting as well, but using the corner to corner method.  I will have to figure out how to draw the lines because I am not good at "eye balling" it and keeping a straight line.  I had one of those pens that is used for marking and then disappears after washing.  Of course I don't recommend washing these dang quilts at all!!!  They are liable to fall apart!  Not really - it's just that these types of quilts don't really look all that great after washing.

Oh, well, so much for this day.  Now to get some sleep.  It's 3 a.m. - I guess technically it's tuesday, not Monday.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.