Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday, November 2, 2012

I'VE BEEN FIRED!  (lol)  YEA!!!

I was finally told yesterday (AFTER classes) that my instructor services will not be needed after this next week -- a full-time day instructor has been hired and will be onboard as of Monday, November 12.  The only thing that irritates the snot out of me about that is that the director did not have the balls to tell me the truth about it, choosing instead to tip toe around all week, avoiding me, keeping office doors closed when I was around (something she never does), etc.  I'm accustomed to dealing with professionals who are upfront/straight forward so didn't appreciate that.

My only regret is leaving the students.  I really bonded with them and they had told me they had learned so much from me - much more than from the other instructors.  But that's a whole 'nother story, and one of the reasons I'm glad I'm done.  That "non-profit organization" situation did not truly care whether or not the students learned anything.  It was strange.  I kinda figured out that the organization was just a business for the founder/director to support herself.  I think it was founded originally for the purpose of assisting women in learning job skills, but I think the focus was lost somewhere along the way.  In fact, on several occasions the director let me now I was spending far too much effort teaching the students...that she heard me actually READING the text from the manual to them, and that I was not supposed to be helping/coaching them thru the assignments.  Her philosophy regarding teaching is that the students need to struggle somewhat to do the assignments.  Well, my "philosophy" and my teacher training won't let me do that.  I was trained by educational professionals who teach that first you explain it to them, then you work through exercises with them, THEN you have them do the work on their own.  Otherwise, they don't learn.

Anyway, I AM SO RELIEVED!  After thinking about it for a short while (about 30 seconds), I made sure when I left yesterday that I took all personal stuff with me, left my instructor manual at the office (after cleaning out anything personal in it), and then when I left I sent a text to Ken telling him that I didn't want to return for next week.  I decided it wouldn't be in my best interest to hang around trying to teach classes this next week after I had been told I was no longer needed.  When I reached my car, from the parking lot of the non-profit I called one of my employment opportunities and accepted an offer.  I had been stalling, hoping to be able to work with my students until they finished the current classes, but decided I needed to end the situation...do what was best for ME.  I had actually written a letter of resignation two weeks previously, just had not submitted it.

SO, when I got home, after dinner, I sent a very nice "goodbye/so long" email to the director advising that I will not be back and that I have taken a position elsewhere and start on Monday.  BECAUSE I am actually a certified teacher for the local school district and they are driving me crazy trying to get me to sub.  Apparently this year they are having a difficult time getting subs because I looked today and there are at least 50 needed for today and no one accepted the assignments.  I chose not to start today, need a day off to recuperate, so I will start on Monday.  The good thing about working as a sub is I don't have to work every day - just need to work at least 2 days per week - 2 days of my choice - and I can select the assignments I want to take.  SO, last night I hook back up with the school system, indicated I am not available today (but have received 37 calls thus far looking for a sub!).  I will review assignments for Monday on Sunday evening and select one close to home and go teach a couple of days next week.  After that I will probably teach about 3 days per week - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.  The problem with working for the schools is they pay once per month and the first pay day will not be until December 20...and that's only for work thru November 9.  Work after that thru sometime in December is paid in January.  Good thing we are not destitute!

That's the bad and good news of the day.  Now the problem is, I need to find my ISD badge!!!  I was previously carrying it around in my purse, but I took it out and put it somewhere safe.

Other than that, I'm meeting high school chums for lunch today, working on a quilt top, finishing up a quilt for a great niece, and living life.  Ken had an appointment this morning to be fitted with his new orthopedic shoes; he'll be back shortly and then probably be off with his buddies for the day.  This is a busy time - Ken's friend Chuck Bradley is the Republican candidate for U.S. Representative for District 33 so Ken "and the boys" have been busy putting out signs at early voting places, trying to get Chuck's name out to the general public, and drinking lots of coffee/tea and eating!  I pray that BO is not re-elected and that all democrats are knocked out of office!  I personally voted a straight Republican ticket.  Saw no point in looking at other candidates on the ballot.

Ok, off and runnng!  It feels so good to have the day off!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.