Saturday, November 10, 2012

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Presley and the Pink Strip Quilt
Ah!  I sent off the pink strip quilt to my great niece Presley yesterday.  She got it today!  Her mom, Christi (my nephew's wife) posted a picture of her with the quilt on Facebook so all the family could see it.

Been awake since 3:30, but I went to sleep about 8:30!  I was exhausted after a wonderful afternoon spent with a classroom of little kindergarten children...all adorable.  What an adventure - I would do it again tomorrow if asked.  Oh, my goodness, can kiddos be any sweeter?

I spent a 1/2 day with them - from 11:30 to 3:00.  They completed what they were working on when I first got there then we cleaned up and went for library time.  There was a substitute librarian who apparently knows NOTHING about little ones.  She was so mean I started to yank my babies out of there.  It is a bilingual class - they are learning English.  They barely know their first names, and some of them don't quite know their last names.  She didn't know how to operate the computer system for checking in their books or checking out new ones and she was not nice to them when they didn't understand what she wanted them to do!  Another little child (and I do mean young one) came in the library (sent by a teacher) and she was mean to that baby, too.  His teacher came in after a bit looking for him and we exchanged a word or two.  I decided my babies had had enough of that mess and took them back to the classroom where they put away their new library books and then we headed outside!  They had a blast on the playground equipment.  Of course there were the usual childish battles and fights, and I guess little girls come into this world wanting to be controllers.

We played outside about 45 minutes!  Then they ASKED if we could go back inside so they could "SLEEP" for a little bit.  We turned off the lights and they rested.  I told them a story while they rested.  Then it was math time (learning numbers).  They are a hoot.  They have "math" centers, and there are 6 of them with 3 students to a math center.  One of the math centers is at the teacher's kidney table where a game of "BINGO" is played.  After two games they get a sticker, the bell is rung, and all the students change centers.  Sweet, sweet, sweet.  They all know what to do.

Although I am not bilingual, I understand enough Spanish (I've been doing some online traiing classes) that I can work with them.  When we were working on letters they pronounce them just a little bit differently, so I had to listen closely -- h is hchie, for instance.

I'm glad I accepted this assignment.  After the class of 5th graders I had on Wednesday I was resolved to never go back!

I have another assignment on Monday - an all-day class at my own high school!  It is supposed to be a secondary business class but apparently it is a computer type lab for students who are working on accelerated course work as well as for students who are either making up credits (recovering) or attempting to catch up credits so they graduate on time.  Should be interesting!

That's it for now...I'm about ready to go back to bed for a nap!  It's 6 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.