Saturday, November 17, 2012

Saturday, November 17, 2012 - Day in the Life Of

Bennie and Luci Grace woke me up this morning wanting to play.  I was very tired because I stayed up until almost 4 a.m. working on a silly project - a table runner made from strips of all the various Christmas fabrics used over the years.  I sewed them kinda randomly, making sure I balanced colors - or at least I tried to.

The top was pretty "wobbly" by the time I finished although I followed directions and attached a strip on first one side and then the other all the way until I elected the length was right.  I then pressed the thing per instruction.  Not surprisingly it was a tad bit longer on one side than the other.  But after all was said and done, it came out pretty even by the time I cut it down to 16".  So, it is pressed, and I've cut 2" strips and sewn those on as border.  That will be the inside border.  Tomorrow I will attach a 3" border of poinsettia fabric.  If I have time I can then make the sandwich and quilt the thing.  

Today was the memorial service for the son of our friends Johnnie and Lela Johnston.  Johnnie Jr. was 58 years old and apparently took his own life to end his suffering.  He had been in the hospital, was in pain, knew he didn't have much longer to live, and elected to choose to die.  Very sad.  The music at the service was "I Can Only Imagine," and "Amazing Grace, My Chains Are gone."  both very nicely done.  The minister made an impression on me with what he said has become a slogan of sorts around his church..."We are good people, who make bad decision, with good intentions."  and I think that about sums it up for most of us.  

We saw lots of friends at this service -- mostly from our RV chapter of the Good Sam's Club.  My father-in-law and his wife were also there but didn't say much to us.  Clackers just ca never treat Ken as a man, instead always finding some way to put him down.  Yet Ken is constantly craving some positive recognition from this man.  Today Clackers needed his walker so he could get from the sanctuary to the fellowship hall.  Ken volunteered to go get it but no, Clackers said he wold get it.  Ken walked out with him to the car, but then Clackers wouldn't allow Ken to get the walker out, saying to him, "it's too complicated for you."  Clackers can never let go of the fact that Ken caused himself some issues when he decided to commit suicide...but that has now been 4 years ago, Ken has been through rehab and recovered completely, been through much psychological counseling, continues to be under care and in a program thru MHMR, and is doing well.  But to Clackers Ken has always been and will always be damaged goods.  He has never and will never recognize Ken for the man he is.  Of course one of the things the counselors have advised Ken is to have as little to do with the man as possible because it is always a put down.  Yet Ken can't help it - he is always seeking the positive recognition that he is never going to get from this man.  

Ken and I decided to come on home after that instead of going to fellowship hall.  We rested a bit and then went out to dinner at the Cotton Patch where we over ate as usual!  Then we stopped by Starbucks where we had a delightful time from a couple of ladies (mother/daughter) who were originally from El Paso.  We had a very nice time.  

I received a package in the mail today - something I ordered.  It is a fabric Christmas tree panel.  It is pretty big!  But it will be beautiful if I ever get 'round to it ... it needs to be bordered, sandwiched and quilted...needs echo quilting all around various tree ornaments and such, but it also needs lots of beading and special threads to make it come "alive."  No idea if/when I will ever get around to this project...certainly not THIS Christmas...this will take a year or so to complete.  

That's about it...I'm pretty sleepy.  Need to go take meds, go to bed, and try once again to get up and go to church.  Thus far I haven't make it in a long time.

Have a great rest of Saturday night.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.