Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday!

Loved this song long ago, and loved the movie, too. So here is an old favorite by Liza Minneli, Come Saturday Morning.

What's Been Happening

Been a BUSY week! Had meeting at Texas Workforce with founder and executive director of The Ladder Alliance, Sharon Cox, and head of something or 'nother at TWC, Julie _____ to discuss classes to be taught for TWC. I got to Texas Workforce Commission on time, but parking lot was full so parked in big side lot and walked to back of building only to discover I couldn't get in. There was no way I was up for walking all the way around the huge building to the front - so I went back to the car, rested, drove back to the front and still couldn't find a parking spot so parked at the building next door - which was closer than trying to hike from the correct parking lot. But, I knew I was going to be a tad late so called to check in with Sharon to let her know I was there. She wasn't there yet either, but by the time I parked and walked to the office, she was inside. We went to the conference room - Julie did not show up until about 9:20.

Anyway, we had the meeting - much to do about nothing; can't say I got much out of it except the expectation is that we are going to teach KEYBOARDING on these little bitty netbook computers. Experience tells me that students are going to be extremely frustrated doing it this way - especially the guys, because some of them have rather large hands anyway. The training room is ok. Computers will be delivered to and picked up from the training room every class. My greatest fear - and forgive me for this but experience tells me what to expect - these computers won't show up and I will have to HUNT someone to find the computers every time. That will take up major class time. I have my fingers crossed that this won't happen.

I went to the sub courthouse this week and got a copy of the marriage record of James Elihugh Pugh and Lucinda (Lou) Welch (October 22, 1878); and a copy of the one for John Wesley Pugh and Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie) Miller (September 3, 1896). Then I notified Mary Pettyjohn and Marsha Goodwin, descendants of JEP that I have them. Oh, goodness, I'm afraid one of them misunderstood something that was said in one of the emails and now doesn't want to work together - "will just do my own research." That doesn't bode well. I can't worry about it. I think from now on I'll concentrate on getting the documents for my own research and try not to be helpful by going to get documents for others. NOW I know why Weldon Hudson, genealogist (deceased) told me years ago that I would run into issues trying to help people!!

Sent requests for reference letters to colleagues Marty K. and John B. They both said, "of course." Had to have a reference letter from another "professional," so imposed upon friends Bill and Joan L. and Bill worked that up for me before he left town. I have to turn those in to FW ISD next with package next week before attending orientation on Friday. I'm applying to do substitute teaching for FW ISD because the way The Ladder Alliance is working out there's no telling when or if I will actually be teaching and earning $$. If TLA does not work out quickly, I will be saying, "sorry, I can't do it after all" and working for FW ISD instead.

Oh, I dropped off a Criminal Background Check form at FW ISD on Thursday. Also signed one for TLA that morning. While at FWISD I ran into a lady who is also going to be doing substitute teaching. She told me about teaching adult education for FW ISD, so I'm going to check into that as well. They have classes all over the city of Fort Worth and at all times day and evenings. I'm not going to be earning enough from TLA if that goes through so am going to need to back that up with something else that pays money. This TLA thing is turning into something that is going to require a lot more of my time than I intended or want to do. The classes for Texas Workforce are 2.5 hours M-F, and I only get paid $15 per hour. But the classes (if they come to be) will take up more of my day than 5 hours, plus gas, wear and tear on the car, etc.

Today is Saturday -- I attended an "Instructor's Meeting" at TLA this morning - cannot believe someone scheduled a meeting for 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning! It was a very informal meeting to discuss a few things and it was a good session -- a decision was to have more of these for exchange between instructors. I may or may not attend any or most of them...my Saturday mornings are not up for sale or donation. I like to sleep late, wake up to the doggies, move slowly, do our own family thing.

So, now I'm home. I've missed Alyssa's (great great niece) birthday party which was from 11-1, but I'll get her things to her. I hope niece Lindsey understands. For now, I need to get something to drink, eat, and relax a bit before I start in on things that need to be done around here. Ken's been busy while I've been gone. Thank you Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.