Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday, July 20, 2012



FRIDAY! Love Fridays.

This morning I went to the hiring event at FW ISD...I had applied for substitute teacher. All went well, I had all the appropriate paperwork and references. I had to write essay responses to two scenarios while there - one was about how I would approach teaching a subject I'm not familiar with; and the other was about how I would maintain discipline in the classroom. Since this is not my first rodeo, I had some responses -- didn't know for sure what they were wanting. Anyway, I completed those, carried my papers/folder to the required next person, and waited. Then I was approached by the fellow who was going to interview me.

He wanted me to tell him about me and my work and/or teaching experience. Since I've had both, that wasn't difficult. He took notes during the process, and when the prescribed exercise was completed he asked me with my background how I felt about teaching math and science classes. He then told me my essays read like a retired school teacher, and I laughed. So did he. I told him that teaching a large class of engineers can sometimes be as difficult as teaching a classroom of younger students.

Anyway, I had to complete some additional paperwork after talking with him - one being a W4 form. Afterward I moved to the final station - actually talking to the employment officer who more or less welcomed me aboard, verified my DL and SS, and gave me paperwork for fingerprinting. All of this is so I can get in the door as a sub so that I can then attend alternate certification to be a full teacher. I'm supposed to go to seminars on Friday, August 3, but have yet to figure out how I'm going to do that since I will be teaching for TLA that day. Hmmm...I think I'll figure it out. Maybe students will get the day off.

SO, what else today? Hmm, came home, piddled, then got my act together to take packages to the post office. That was our big outing of the day. I fell asleep in my office chair late this afternoon, woke up about 5:45 or so (?). We were taking about going out to dinner, but there was lightening and thundering. Suddenly the power went out. Although it kept trying to pop back on, it finally just died. Since our Maggie (spaniel) is afraid of storms, we thought we should wait around at home a bit. And of course the cars were in the garage so we were hoping the power would come back on to make it easier to get in/out of the house/garage. But, it didn't. Ken called Encore and was told "sometime before midnight."

Ken changed the garage door opener to manual so we could back out the car. I was driving so I took us to Razoo's. It was great! I had a cat fish basket - thankfully I ordered the smaller version, because it was huge! Ken had a combination plate of some sort. The place was extremely busy, with a very long waiting line. After we signed in, we stepped inside to see if there were any bar stools open -- these are first come, first served and lots of times we end up eating at the bar instead of waiting for a table. Lucky us! We found two empty stools together! We claimed them. We were right at the end of the bar where the servers come up to pick up drink orders. There were open containers of cherries, lemons, limes, strawberries, pineapple, orange slices, and umbrella toothpicks. Nasty, nasty -- every server at Razoos had their hands in all of those containers as they were putting finishing touches on drinks. Oh, yuck! I will never again order a drink or eat the fruit off one of those toothpicks. No telling what germs are on them! No tongs -- just everybody putting their hands all in every container.

We ate too much as usual, and enjoyed every bite. It was a great way to end the week and to enjoy Friday evening. And the power was on when we got home. So here we are at the close of another very good day.

Take care - God bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.