Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 18, 2010, Sunday - Hubby's Battle

DH was feeling really good and strong when he came home on Friday - I thought we might be "home free." He was tired, went to bed, slept most of the afternoon, ate dinner, went back to bed. He has been sleeping almost around the clock for 2 days - at first I thought it was the pain pills. Then I realized he wasn't taking them. I made DH get up this morning - he doesn't need to be sleeping around the clock and I wanted to check on what was going on with him. He ate a little breakfast but went back to bed. I made him get up about an hour later and check his blood sugar...511...normal is 75-125. I gave him 10 units of R insulin and told him the pump is apparently not working. I made him stay up. (He had put his insulin pump back on when we got home. Apparently it was not managing his glucose.) I told him we either get it down or its 911/hospital for him, cause those are coma/stroke numbers.

DH changed his pump attachments, reset it, and his BS was down to 275 when I fed him lunch at about 1:15. He gave himself a bolus through the pump to get him over the intake of carbs from lunch. I will recheck in about an hour. If its still high, its another shot of R.

I am hoping this is a problem with the pump (his operation of it); otherwise this can signal infection...we do not want another bout of infection at the wound site like we had last fall.

I am trying to get him somewhat on his feet today because I will be gone for a long work day tomorrow and Tuesday, and will be in a video conference room unable to accept phone calls from DH. Needless to say, if his glucose level is sky high it will be a stressful day for both of us -- he will be ill and I will be worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.