Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A little Elvis sweet music this evening. Once upon a time, a very long time ago, in a different lifetime, I had a gold charm on my bracelet with "I love you more today than yesterday, but less than tomorrow."

Been a busy week thus far.

Tuesday morning I had an appointment with Dr. Matthews (opthamologist)for check up. I got there 10 minutes early, I was finally called back at 11:30 a.m. Grrr! Fortunately the eyes are stable. Still have some vision in the left eye, but sure wouldn't want to depend on it to be the "good" eye as I am legally blind in that eye - but it was no worse than 6 months ago. Neither was the right one. No bleeders this time, so no cauterization of the eyes. Yea!

I had no breakfast or shots before the doc visit, and had no time for lunch/shots before a workshop started at the Texas Workforce Commission office. I drove straight from doc's office to the workshop. Fortunately I remembered to grab the glucometer and shots along with a zero coke, package of crackers, and a breakfast bar on my way out of the house. So I checked glucose - 310 even without food at all! I took 40 units of Levemir and 12 units of Humalog, crammed down the crackers and breakfast bar, entered the building and signed in both myself and Ken. Ken showed up about 10 minutes later.

The workshop was a good one -- dealt with resume building. Boy, times have changed and resumes are not created the way they were in the old days! We learned a lot, got a lot of hints of what to do and got sent home (along with all the other students) with a lot of work to do, including some online training to accomplish.

Last night I started taking the free online Excel training. Yes, I've been using it for years, but it never hurts to refresh, and by taking the training I will receive Continued Ed credit and a certificate - which will look nice on the resume. I took the pre-test for the course and made 80%. I started working thru the course materials and accomplished the first unit, did the required assignment, and submitted it for review by instructors. It was returned today marked "incomplete." I had failed to Bold header cells as per instructions! Tonight I did the work requested and resubmitted the assignment. I'm hoping nothing else is found so that I can move on to the next section. I want to complete the Excel training so I can move on to PowerPoint, Word, and Access (need the refresh and certificates).

This morning Ken started working on Word training and reviewing his resume. I didn't get much done. I've got to figure out how to do job searches but until I get the resume done it doesn't do any good to put it into the system - the system looks at resumes a particular way so I need the resume to match the resume-to-job comparison method.

We attended two more workshops today - the first one was Networking. We certainly are not the only ones looking for jobs and doing all we can to get onboard. And we had the opportunity to meet some nice people, including one fellow who is a football player but just got cut from Pittsburgh. He has a degree in psychology and is trying to start up a non-profit organization that has something to do with children. In this workshop we had the opportunity to review printed out job descriptions of available jobs thru the TWC system. Ken and I each collected information for several that we need to look into. And we saw one particular thing that applies directly to Ken's situation. He'll be checking into that tomorrow.

The second workshop we attended was Changing Careers. Neither one of us is sure we want to get back into the rat race of corporate engineering or accounting, and we each think we want to get into something less stressful. What that is, we don't know. We've still got to discover what that is.

That's about it for today. We've got much work to do on the resume's, some work to complete so we can get back with TWC and get busy. Tomorrow we attend a workshop regarding interview tips, and then on Friday we attend orientation for WIA, and neither of us have any idea what that is! We know we will be taking career assessment tests, that sort of thing, but we don't know anything else about it. It's a program we get into that gets us doing intensified work toward finding a job. The counselor today told us that right now he could pull 10 job descriptions that either one of us could fill. We'll see!!!

Tonight we made chili pie - shame on us. And I ate three tootsie roll pop suckers!!! And now I've taken the meds and insulins so Luci and I are headed to bed with the rest of the family.

To all my family and friends, I love you, and here's Elvis singing a favorite: If We Never Meet Again

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.