Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hmm, what have we done in the past couple of days? Not a cotton picking thing worth telling! Yesterday we went to Camping World and picked up Casten's Castle - our 14 year old motorhome. We had to have the kitchen water lines and faucet replaced/fixed because water was running everywhere. We also paid to have the left brake lights fixed.

Getting ready to go I had told Luci she could co with me, and while I was getting reacy I brushed her and got her ready, too. She tore out of the bathroom afterward and the next thing I knew Ken came in and asked me if I told her she could go. Seems she had gone running to him ready to get in the car and letting him KNOW I had told her she could go!! Oh, well, she's a smart dog. What can I say. She gets very put out when she's not allowed to go. The others get put out because she goes and they don't, but Bennie whines and cries the entire time in the car, and Maggie gets anxious and has panic attacks. It's easier on us and better for them if they stay home.

I followed Ken to the storage unit to put up the motorhome until time to take it to Vogt to have the slide repaired. I noticed immediately that two brake lights on the right are working (not three), and that only one brake light on the left is working. Grrr...they did not fix the problem, only replaced one bulb. Now I need to figure out how to change the others!!!

Later we loaded up some of Debbi's things in the back of the VW Beetle and drove over to the house where the estate sale will be held. Oh my gosh, this woman has so much STUFF - expensive, but still STUFF! Friend Mary had tables set up and covers over them, so all we had to do was start setting stuff out. SO MANY Neiman and Hallmark ornaments and crap.

Today we were basically lazy and then this afternoon loaded up the back of the Saturn with big boxes of Debbi's stuff and went back to the estate sale house. Oh, my God. Avon Cape Cod (the red stuff) goblets, dishes, wine decanter, on and on; and then we started unloading the big boxes. There is not way to explain the number of Thomas Kinkade plates, still in the styrofoam, this lady has. Set after set after set...don't appear to have ever been opened, and the unopened racks to go with them. Unbelievable. We worked all afternoon putting out Kinkade plates. And I doubt any of them sell.

Then we started unpacking another box. A lot of Hull brown and brown drip stoneware. And Homer Laughlin (not Fiesta). There is no way under heaven that anyone ever needed this stuff! I don't think Debbi realized she was doing all of this. Granted, I think some if was gifts from friends and relative and it just got to be too much.

Tomorrow we are going to go back to the house but this time we'll take some things of our own, not Debbi's. I've got some clothes (nice) that I want to hang in the bedroom closet to sell for next to nothing, and there are a couple of things of Ken's that need to go as well. There may be some things out of the kitchen and utility room that we do away with as well. I've got a huge blue enamel roaster that I used to use but now that I have the big electric one, I don't use the old one. I'll think about it. I have the matching big vat pot, but it was my grandmother's -- she used it on top of the gas stove to do her laundry!!! I'm not sure I'm ready to give it up. But we have some miscellaneous things around here that can go.

I've also got to ask Mary if she wants me to go thru the boxes she has in the sun room and set that stuff out. She and Charlie "inherited" a bunch of stuff from a couple who just needed to get rid of it because they were moving into retirement living. It's all in boxes in the sunroom taking up space. I think I'll help her out by setting it up - that way she can price it easier.

Oh, I hope I remember to take over some of the afghans I've made! They're just taking up space on the rack in the breakfast room. I'll keep a few, but I have many. They were made when my girls were in college and I was so worried and stressed out about them being gone.

Good night - hope your holiday tomorrow is fun but take the time to remember why it is a holiday. Thank you to all of our serviceman who have gone before and to those who are still with us and have been wounded, and a very special thank you to my beautiful son. I love you so very much.

And just for a nice tune, here's Leonard Cohen's Dance Me to the End of Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.