Thursday, December 6, 2012

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I'm worn to a frazzle!  Had a full day with third graders.  Except this was a third grade from somewhere outta space!  First of all, there was no lesson plan to be found, just some vague instructions for the beginning of class, then a couple of lines about what to do for the spelling test and the reading worksheet.  Fortunately the team teacher (also 3rd grade, next door) came to help me out a minute and we were able to put together a "day" for the students.  Her class and the one I had switch at mid day.

From the beginning these kids decided Substitute Teacher Syndrome would be appropriate behavior for the day.  And I actually asked them if this was the way they behaved for their regular teacher.  they said no.  I was totally unprepared for the absolute defiance from some of the students.  They would not sit down, they would not respect me nor their co-students, they got out of their chairs and went wherever they wanted in the room even while I was trying to teach.  They hit, shoved, cursed one another, and at one point did the same to me.  At one point it became necessary for me to get assistance from the other teacher and we had to remove a student.  This class was the epitome of every classroom one has ever seen on television where the students were totally out of control - chair overturned, desks moved, total disregard for order.  

As I said, I thought it was me.  At my break I went to the teacher's lounge.  There were other teachers in there - I was about to the breaking point.  I told them I had totally lost control of the class, even though I had a parent volunteer in the class to assist me!  Between us we couldn't get the class under control.  Another sub was in the lounge as well - she was having the same problem. We discussed with the other teachers that according to our training we were not to use "drill sargeant" actions with them (don't raise the voice, use only positive reinforcement, etc.).  The regular teachers told us the only way they get order in the classroom is by totally ignoring the training and taking charge.  They said the people who put that training together apparently have never been in one of our classrooms, and that they deal with these actions every day and that it is not just a substitute teacher problem.  They say it is an epidemic...that children now days will not listen, will not respect, will not pay attention, do whatever they want to.  They told us it is totally out of hand.  

Anyway, to make a long story longer, at recess I was approached by some of the regular teachers wanting to know if I would be willing to come back to sub again.  I was kinda surprised.  but they told me I was actually doing a good job.  And, of course, they have a hard time getting subs...no one is willing to come put up with it!  I laughed.  I told them I'm willing to sub for them as long as there are other teachers around who will step in to help me when it gets rough like it did that morning.  They told me that was no problem - that they do it all the time!  So I'll probably be going back to that school.  

I'm signed up to teach a different class on Friday - different school.  Middle school.  I hope I survive.  But tomorrow I'm taking a break - having lunch at the Fort Worth Women's Club.  Both the DAR and the United Daughters of the Confederacy meet at the FWWC...it will be nice to go so something a little sweeter than the classroom today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.