Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Been totally worthless the last two days...just feel exhausted for some reason.  Yesterday I made it to the store, finally, at about 2:00 p.m.  Had to buy some groceries - we've been out of just about everything.  I've slept an awful lot - and that worries me.  The doctors have told me that when the "end" comes around that I will start wanting to sleep a lot, then a lot more, and then I will just go to sleep...death from kidney failure is pretty quiet.  Of course I'm also told that I'm stressing over that for no reason because they don't think that's what I'm experiencing...but who knows.

BUT, just in case, I'm trying to get some things summed up/completed.  I've recently gone through some boxes and papers and mailed off some things to the kids.  As I come across things I will now send packages.  These are things like pictures, report cards, various paperwork that is about each of the kids.  Time for them to decide if they want to keep them...I am resentful that my own dad never allowed me to have any of my personal things.  As a result I have very little of my school pictures, pictures of me as a child, and such.

Anyway, 'nuf of that.  One of the things I'm trying to complete is my "social" stuff.  I am a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution through my gggg grandfather, James Kilgore, Sr. of Darlington, South Carolina.  However, James' son and grandson, my gg and ggg grandfathers - Samuel and Matthew Kilgore, were civil war soldiers from Jones County, Mississippi.  For a long time I have been working on paperwork to complete my application for the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Julia Jackson Chapter, here in Fort Worth, Texas.  I have finally submitted the application so am now just gathering the documentation to send to the Registrar.  I should have that completed some time this week.  I did not take teacher assignments for last Thursday and instead went to the December meeting and luncheon of the UDC that was held at the Fort Worth Women's Club.  Very nice - met some nice ladies.  Some of these are also in the Mary Isham Keith chapter of the DAR - the chapter I belong to.  They also meet at the Women's Club.

Although I was invited years ago to become a member of the Etta Newby Club (FW Women's Club), I never accepted and thus the UDC meeting is the first time I have ever been in that beautiful mansion here in Fort Worth.  It is gorgeous.  And the food was scrumptious.  Think I'll go again.  Think I might get the hang of this retirement thing after all.  I always said what I was going to do in my retirement was meet friends for lunch at the club for shrimp salad!  I was just teasing, but now maybe not so much!

In connection with family history, I've been working with the Jones County, Mississippi, genealogy society and need to complete the book I'm working on that will be placed in their library.  The Kilgore roots in Jones County run deep even though my great grandfather and great grandmother migrated to Texas.  Even after that migration family members continued to go back and forth to Jones County, and some of them stayed there rather than here in Texas (after all, we still had lots of family in Jones).  I still communicate with family in Jones County even today.  And my dad continued to go back to Jones County for reunions.  Anyway, because my ggg grandfather was a sheriff in Jones County back in the day (he died in January 1863, so it's been a while!) the society wants a compilation on the family history.  My distant cousin and I have been working on this for a while (she's in her late 70's).  Believe it or not, her name is Dorothy while mine is Dorthy.  We also have another cousin by the name of Dorothy.  Kinda like my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl.  So, I want to get this wrapped up and get on to something else.

Right now I am going to take a shower and shampoo my hair - first time I've felt like it in a couple of days.  I'm a little "rank."  After that my goal tonight is to make two Christmas pillows for my daughter Megan.  I made Brandi's last year but haven't given them to her.  This year it is what they will get because we just do not have the funds to spend for big major gifts for everybody.

So, I'm off to fight the dragons - whatever and wherever they are.  Take care; God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.