Saturday, August 4, 2012

Friday, August 3, 2012

Today was Project Day for the quilting group I belong to. I wanted to take a peach cobbler, so set the alarm for 6:30 a.m. so I could make the cobbler, have time to get ready to go, and have time to drive the 35 minutes to get to the location.


Disaster! I used my fail-safe recipe for the cobbler - been using the same recipe since the 70's -- just change the fruit if want something different. Cobbler never fails. Ha! It did! The dang cobbler NEVER set up correctly, and the "cobbler" part was either loose dough or in the lower part of the dish like biscuits!!! I have no idea what happened. It will be good for us to eat around here but no way was I going to take that to this gathering of talented sophisticated women! Jeepers, I already feel like a pair of brown shoes worn with a tuxedo. So, got ready to go and put stuff in car and stopped at Albertson's. Picked up a peach pie and some strawberries and headed out.

Took the pink strip quilt I made as a test of the continuous 2.5" strip method, along with the backing I prepared earlier and the batting. This is for great niece Presley and I've been dawdling with it for a few months. Need to get it finished and sent on its way so I can work on something else. I was planning to use a couple of tables at the church to lay out the sandwich. But I hope no one noticed how badly I was struggling when I got there. I wasn't quite "with it" and couldn't figure out why. Had a tough time walking from the car to the building, but thankfully found a 4-wheel cart at the entrance. I placed my stuff on it and managed to wheel it to the room we were using. It was nice to have something to hang on to. While I was taking it back, sweet Sheila set up an extra table so I could have enough room to lay out my stuff. I think I was encroaching on Susan's area a bit.

Fortunately after a bit I was doing better and managed to press the backing fabric I had sewn together. Then I was able to tape it down to the table and place the batting over it. I used the spray basting and Susan voiced my fear for me -- was I going to asphyxiate then with the fumes? I was beginning to think so myself! But I was able to spray the adhesive "between" the sandwich layers for the most part in an effort to keep it contained. Finally got it all put together, used some of the "flower" straight pins on top as well just for a little added bonding. Trimmed off the true excess batting because it makes it easier to work with the quilt top once I start machine quilting it, folded it up and moved on to my little sunbonnet sue cross stitch project. The floss I'm using on the current sue is terrible. It's silky stuff of some kind and I hate it, but it is the "purest" red I saw at the shop, and I wanted a red sue. Learned a lesson - will never buy the same product again! I think after this sue I have 3 others to cross stitch the main sue, and then can start on the flowers and framing cross stitching. Maybe I'll finish it before I die!!! Maybe not.

Today was wonderful because I think it lit the fire under my butt that I needed - got me motivated to get back to work on these projects. I think after doing cleaning and laundry tomorrow I'll oil up the main machines and get projects moving again.

Other than that? Let's see. I put in a call to Sharon of The Ladder Alliance when I got home. Had to confirm we are actually starting classes on Monday. Looks like it's a go. We'll have 9 students at the TLA site, and 12 at the TWC site. I had wanted incentives for the students at TWC since they cannot participate in Success Dollars (TLA "money" that can be used at the clothing store maintained by TLA). Turns out Sharon went above and beyond the call of duty...the TWC students will have monetary incentives. Plus they will get netbook computers at the end of the program. All of our TLA students get a computer at the end of the program, but TWC's will get the netbooks. Pretty neat. Tomorrow I'm going by the party store to get packages of things like the small squishy balls...these are for hand exercises. We'll also do some wrist exercises and start with a little relaxation therapy. It's going to be fun.

We went to Mexican Inn in Burleson tonight for dinner. AWFUL! We love MI but usually got to the one on Camp Bowie. We like the chips and salsa at MI. But the chips tonight were not good. They were shaped like the ones we normally have, but definitely were not made from the same products. And the tortillas were bad, too. Not made from the same products, doughie (is that a word?), and not cooked. Ken had shrimp tacos with rice and beans; I had one tamale, one enchilada, with no beans. I had a 'rita on the rocks; Ken had a frozen 'rita. We came home and that's about it.

Gotta go get shut eye -- need to work my buns off tomorrow to get things done around here, because on Sunday I want to go to the quilting bee, get my clothes ready for work (so I don't have to think about what to put on early in the morning), and study for teaching the classes on Monday. Looks like here we go again! Yea!

It's been a great Friday - hope it's been good for you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.