Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday already! We've accomplished zilch this week! The kids (Tamara and Jason) came to see us yesterday for a few minutes. We gave them a television out of my sewing room. They're excited because they get to move to a place of their own on the 20th. They've been sharing with the other kids, Katie and Austin. We gave them the kitchen table and chairs last week, along with a couple of white wicker tables. Miss Tamara tells me they've got about all they need except dishes. I think we'll just give them a gift card and let them go get their own!

Yesterday we finally mustered up enough oomp to get out of the house. We went to look at a dining table advertised on Craigslist for $85 - lady said price was "firm." But when we got there the thing was a piece of crap! We had to let her know we were not interested at any price. totally wobbly - something wrong with the legs. We turned it over to look at it but it wasn't worth trying to fix. So, still looking for a good table to put in the sewing room to use as a cutting table. Right now we have one of the office table up on risers. It's not quite wide enough.

After looking at the table we drove to Denton to look at a RV place -- man oh man, we are looking for something from about 1998/1999 similar to what we had previously. Everything we've seen so far is a piece of junk. So, we keep looking -- not jumping in...going to find something GOOD for the price we can afford (cash).

Today we went to an estate sale. Found a cedar chest but too much veneer was missing and it had water damage on one end. Estate hostess said it was $110 - I let it stay there. BUT we found a Singer 401A sewing machine in the cabinet. The price was $95 and was a firm price. I finally made up my mind to buy it. As I was looking at other things, however, Ken noticed old dried brittle masking tape wrapped around the two back legs at about the same spot. After peeling back the tape we noticed the legs were cracked...didn't take the time to look at how badly, just told them we changed our mind. As I was paying for other things, the hostess asked me if I wanted the machine for $50...I thought about it for a bit, waivered, said no, then changed my mind and bought the dang thing for $50. Why? Because a 401A is on my bucket list of machines for my collection!!! We had to take the machine out of the cabinet in order to be able to carry the cabinet and fit it into our SUV, but we made it. I've got to get a manual for the machine, but it works. It's got a bit of dirt and dust on it and needs to be cleaned, oiled, lubed, but it is in excellent condition otherwise!

So, now what machines do I have? (1) Singer 600E, (2) Brother XL 5130, (3)Singer 221, (4)Singer 645, (5)Singer 648, (6)Singer 500A, (7)Singer 66, (8)Singer 301, (9)Singer handcrank (can't remember model), (10)Singer 404, (11)Euro-pro, (12)Miss Durham toy machine, (13)Toy machine (can't remember brand), (14) Baby Lock serger, and I have two more coming!

Still want to add a couple other machines to the herd. I would like a GOOD 201, a fabulous 15, a Kenmore like my daughters, a 99, and then some colored ones - like a pink Atlas. And I want a painted machine - like fire engine red and pretty pink. Oh, and I want a New Home like my mother had (and I learned to sew on it). How many machines do I want? Oh, goodness, enough to fill up the garage. Maybe enough for a museum. And I still do not have a treadle machine!

And tonight we went to Big Barn BBQ - an outing with the After 5.0 group. Buddy Whittington was playing. He's good. Unfortunately our group was sitting together - we were spread throughut the place at various table. After eating and listening to a couple of Buddy's tunes everyone from our table left, so we came on home as well. But that's ok - we have a lot to do tomorrow!

Tomorrow we drop hubby's car off at the shop to have the right mirror replaced - he crashed it backing out of the garage. Then we have to dash to the other side of town to pick up the table I've found - for $15...the guy just wants to move it OUT. hoping we can remove the legs and carry it in the back of the SUV. Then we have to make it to the grocery store to get supplies for me to make one chicken and one beef lasagna for a party. I was going to make one (chicken), but the friend who was going to make the beef lasagna is not going to be able to make the party due to a family situation. So, I'll be making both...dig deep into the pockets for this.

Oh, we finally got our insurance coverage straightened out. With retirement effective January 1, I was supposed to receive retiree insurance for me and a supplemental policy for hubby (who has medicare). I called to confirm on Tuesday that we have this coverage - they never heard of me! Anyway, had to get the ball started thru company services who had to put thru emergency notification to carrier. About noon today we learned that we finally have all coverage in place. YEA! What a pain in the patooty!!

Think that's about all for now. Haven't heard a word from my beautiful bio children. I miss them so very dang much. I still hear their voices, and I still see them in my dreams. Good night my beautiful babies...even though it's been many years since you were babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.