Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Happy/exciting/sad week. My first computer class completed yesterday with students taking their big final 3-part test. They all passed, although they were all nervous about taking it. It was exciting for them and I was sad to see them go. I will never forget them - the ones who actually finished the 7 week program worked very hard, were there all the time, and there was a great bond formed. I took them out for lunch today (they invited me to go with them and I surprised them by buying their lunch).

 I am hacked with Texas Workforce Commission because I started asking 3 weeks ago about the computers promised to my students and haven't heard a word about them yet. Naturally the students don't trust TX Workforce and don't believe they will ever get them. I tend to agree with them.

This morning I took over a morning class. This class began a couple of weeks ago, being taught by the other paid day teacher who is now out due to the huge mass that was found on her liver. She is still in the hospital and chemo is being shot straight to the mass in hope it will kill it. Our founder and executive director has been teaching the morning class in the teacher's absence, but asked me to take it over as she does not have the time to do it. So, guess I'll continue working for a while.

In addition, I have a new class starting on Monday afternoon from 1-3. This class would also be taught by the other teacher under ordinary circumstances. If/when the teacher returns to work she will take over the class if we are not finished before then. Our organization will have other classes starting with Texas Workforce - target date is October 15. I'm supposed to teach those - we'll see what happens, because we also have another class starting at our facility on October 22! We gotta get another instructor!

Oh, today I got to review the class/teacher assessments the students completed. The class and I received glowing reviews except as provided by one student, and hers were downright mean (honest?). This was my student who interrupted me no matter who I was speaking to, didn't care what I was trying to teach, became impatient because other class members asked questions or needed additional explanation about how to do something, etc. Anyway, I have to let her comments/review roll off my back. It's just that she works with the wife of my former boss and I don't want them thinking I'm an idiot; I'm sure she has been telling my former boss' wife that I am.

So, with that I guess I'll let it go and get on with the next classes. I learned a lot, and quite frankly endured a lot that I won't put up with in the future - and I've made that clear to the boss. Life goes on.

 Miss my children - constant refrain that will never end. Think about them every moment of every day as I have since the day I learned they were on the way. That also means I miss the grandchildren, because they are a part of my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.