Saturday, December 31, 2011

Saturday, December 3, 2011 Again

Wow! Didn't mean to get bogged down in the tirade of the other post!

This has been a pretty great weekend. We did drive out to the Triple Cross Cowboy Church last evening for the wedding of friend Sharon Foy Cofer to Steve Doody. Neat, homey wedding. and best of all reunited with friends from long ago. Steve is in the Baggy Bottom Boys band, and I know Sharon from my Poly days. But I had not made the connection of Sharon and others of my youth until I saw a video of the BBB playing at Avenue L Baptist Church. Then it hit me -- Eugene Montgomery is a part of the BBB, and his family also went to Ave L. My family had connections with Ave L since the early 60's...I used to play the piano there! The current pastor is the son of the original pastor (Luke the dad, David the current). So I looked around me at the wedding and I'm surrounded by my early life! It was fantastic. then I discovered that David and Debbi have other connections to some of my friends - Denise and Gary King. The Kings are involved in the annual production of The Littlest Wiseman at the Scott Theater and have been for about 19 years; David and Debbi's daughter Cayce has been in the same production for a about 7 years! So, it was old home week.

Today I slept late -- first time since retirement. Didn't get up 'til 10 o'clock. It was wonderful. Then Bennie and I got to snuggle for a while (Bennie = mini doxi). After working the online jigsaw puzzle and messing around much longer than I should, I headed out to a quilting retreat in far Benbrook off of 377. Dadgum, I missed the cut off and was almost to Cresson before I realized my mistake. But I got to spend a wonderful few hours with the quilting group. It was soothing to the soul. I didn't take quilting to work on but did take some new crochet (afghan) that I am doing for the donation pile. Hopefully I'll finish it some day! All the ladies were so much fun. Thankfully one of them is an expert with the use of a serger, and better than that she doesn't live very far from me! I received a serger from my friend Debbi H. -- brand new, in the box, never been opened. I've still got to pay her for it.

Speaking of paying Debbi. I finally got her paid for all the things she gave the girls a few months ago...dining room furniture, sofa, washer/dryer, and I can't remember what all else. Girls don't know Debbi and I made a deal...I just told them she was going to donate it if they didn't want it, so they contacted Debbi and went to get it. I had Debbi keep a list of what they took and then she and I settled on a price. I paid her out over time. it worked out -- girls got what they needed; Debbi made a little cash.

I digress.

We were going to a New Year's Eve party tonight but we got there too early -- and heaven knows how that happened - we'll be the ones who are late to our own funeral. Anyway, we both thought it started at 7 and so we got there at 6:52. There were cars parked all over the place outside so we thought we were on time. turns out those cars were not for the party but must have been neighbors. Hostess opened the door a crack and let us know the party didn't start until 7:30! I was totally embarrassed. We told her we would come back later. But after getting back in the car we decided to go on to a favorite restaurant close by (Prima's) where we had wonderful Italian food and to much wine. We discussed returning to the party or going on to Stumpy's in Arlington. After reading reviews of Stumpy's (several of our friends were going there and there were enough reservations for us to join in), we decided it probably wasn't a place where we would be comfortable, was a bit too far for us to drive on a NY's Eve and try to get back home. So, we elected to come on back home, kick off the shoes, not go anywhere else, and just do our own thing. SO, here we are. I wish I had stayed at the quilting retreat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.