Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hmm, trying to remember what's been happening since my last post.  Let's see...I joined a couple of on-line quilting groups - really good ones!  One is Stashbuster - using what we have.  I'm really enjoying the people on that one.  Lots of informative chatter.  

I'm continuing to try to purge stuff from this house!  Especially my sewing room.  On the 18th the Blanketeers visited First Street Mission.  We had a nice thorough tour of the place with a wonderful assistant director.  We liked her and the place a lot.  The Blanketeers took several handmade knitted afghans and baby quilts as a donation.  We gained a lot of useful information about various other items the mission will take and I think our group will be visiting with this mission again in the future with additional donations.  I came home from the mission with a renewed vigor for clearing out stuff and immediately packed a bag with some of the dolls that I do not plan to do anything with - am ready to purge.  Hopefully the children the mission serves will be happy to receive a Dora the Explorer doll along with a couple of American Girl type dolls.  I've also included a couple of other items in that bag.  

After our visit to the mission we went to lunch at Panera Bread and then I went by Joann's.  I picked up only items I need to complete current projects along with the fabrics required to participate in the Blanketeer community project.  Well, I also bought a new 2.5" quilting square!  It was on sale for 50% off, so it was a couple of bucks.  

I've been working on great great niece Brynnan's baby quilt.  Almost have it done.  It's pretty big - about 50 x 42 inches.  It is from a kit I bought at a quilt show a year or two ago.  Cute.  I'll get pictures loaded later.  It is unfinished because I had to stop to clean up the room a bit to have the space to lay out the quilt to trim/clean up the side edges.  Hopefully I will get that done tonight then I can cut the binding strips and get those attached.  I will be so glad to get something done and OUT of this house!  I have a number of unfinished projects and my priority, other than the Blanketeer community row quilt, is to get the unfinished projects completed.  

The NE-TX TOGA will be April 5 and 6 so I'm planning to attend that.  Hopefully we will have the rig up and ready to go by then - I'm planning to take it whether Ken goes or not.  I will need to get 6.5" exchange blocks made for that one.  I'll be in hot water if we have 20-30 people sign up for that exchange - but that would be great to get that many blocks in return!!!

On Monday of this week I made telephone calls and got multiple doc appointments set up for this quarter.  First one is tomorrow with the heart doc.  Just a check up so should be short and sweet. His office called this morning wanting to know if I would be willing to change my appointment from 11 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.  I said no - because folks I'm retired and I don't get up early enough to get ANYWHERE by 8:45 in the morning any more!  I gave that up in December 2011.  For the short period of time I worked for the non-profit this last summer and fall I had to be up at 6 a.m. every day to teach two classes a day...I don't want to do that again.  

Yesterday morning I had to have Bennie to the vet at 11:30 a.m.  Ken was gone when I got up so I had to take him by myself.  Bennie Jo is HEAVY but I managed to lift him.  The hard part was that I couldn't leave Luci at home alone - she was having a fit.  So I had to take both of them with me and that was tough.  Eventually Ken showed up at the vet and that made it a little easier but instead of helping me he got on his cell phone with Medtronics in a discussion about his diabetic pump.  He was still on it when we left the vet and was distracted when Bennie pulled out of his collar.  I'm hoping this is a sign that Bennie is losing a little bit of weight - he was supposed to lose 15 lbs.  I'm thinking he has lost some weight since Maggie died in October - he and Luci are not getting as many snacks as Maggie demanded (her liver/cushings disease made her constantly hungry).  

So, I've set up reservations for both the United Daughters of the Confederacy and Daughters of the American Revolution.  I'm trying to become more active in both chapters.  I've got some paperwork to get photocopied to get to the registrar of the UDC.  She's already got the military paperwork.  I've been a member of the DAR for several years already - just need to get active now that I'm retired.  

FW Genealogy meeting is next Tuesday evening at the FW library...I'm planning to go.  

John Norman (relative) got busy last week and did some digging regarding the family cemetery located out west of here...we were afraid it was going to be included in a development project that is going on.  It is not, but it is located very close by.  We try to pay CLOSE attention since developers destroyed the other family cemetery in 2006/2007 and it took a court case to get things straightened out.  We don't want the same thing to happen to this one.  As descendants of early settlers from here, there are many small family cemeteries located around and we are ever watchful that these are not destroyed.  It would be really nice if we could excavate all of them and move them to Oakwood on the north side of town where many of the other family members are buried.  But the cost would be too much.  So, we depend on the city and county folks to keep us apprised of happenings - often reading about developments in the local newspaper.  

That's about it.  Right now I'm going to do about 30 minutes of picking up/cleaning up in the sewing room to stay in step with getting this room cleaned out, then I'm going to sew for about an hour before bed.  After that I'm going to get some things ready to take to the doc with me tomorrow so I can stop at the post office to mail them on the way back.  Haven't heard from any of my children or grandchldren.  They don't even answer text messages or emails.  I'm very confused.  I don't know what I did this time...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.