Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday, November 7, 2011

Haven't been on here in a while! Lots has happened, but I guess nothing too important. My daughters still have absolutely NOTHING to do with me -- will not answer phone messages/text messages/emails. Other than that, life has continued and been busy.

Oldest grandson, Nathan, turned 8 on September 27. We drove to their house and handed off gift bag. DH had birthday on Oct. 20 - I surprised him with a cake at his monthly high school luncheon. Youngest daughter had birthday on November 4 -- I mailed her things. Son had a birthday on November 5 -- mailed his but he lives out of state so that would be the only way to get it there!

Work has been hard because I am trying to get tasks completed before leaving. My time at work has been extended -- last work day will be December 22; last official day on payroll will be December 25 (Merry Christmas!). Retirement officially begins on January 1, 2012. This is three years longer than I intended to work full time. Trying to get ready for the big official day has been brain draining. Guess wouldn't be so tough if didn't care so much. I am going to miss my job and the wonderful people I work with...although most of us who have worked together for so long are leaving at the same time!

Trying to figure out the maze to get retirement papers filed, choose after-retirement insurance, etc., is a job to itself! Ours is a little crazy since I'm not 65, and since DH is not either -- but he's on Medicare due to disability so trying to figure out supplemental insurance and pharmacy coverage for him plus weigh all the differences in plans, etc., has been an eye opening education!!!

Not sure how long I'm going to be happy staying at home. I've always liked my job. and I've worked all my life...I'm pretty sure I'm going to be bored by the end of six months!

I've been attending the outplacement workshops (since I accepted voluntary layoff, I'm allowed to use the resources). Wow, what a difference is expected in resume writing now days!! But, as one who has interviewed potential employers over the years, if someone handed me one of the modern resumes to review, I would reject it automatically. It's too crowded, way too much information on the page, looks like a technical document -- and heaven knows I've read plenty of them...but not all the way thru before my eyelids started slamming shut!!!

I've continued to practice some cooking skills. Have learned that I can make cookies -- have no idea why I was so afraid of it. Yesterday I made one of Barefoot Contessa's recipes -- Seafood Chowder. We invited our friends Bill and Joan over to experience it (Joan's a real cook -- works with the cooking classes at Central Market; and Bill's the mayor of a nearby city; so inviting them was pretty daring on my part!). Joan and I decided there are THINGS that need to happen to make the chowder better. SO, if you look up the recipe, make these changes. Use more flour to make the roux - the 1.5 tbs wasn't enough. Also, use some Old Bay seasoning in it - otherwise it's a little lifeless. And use more pepper. And more Heavy Cream for sure!!! But the seafood itself was very good...would have been excellent in a seafood boil!

I'm searching for a little fluffy dog...I want something that's not going to get more than about 4-5 lbs in weight, something with fluffy/long hair that I can put bows in. Want a girl - one I can dress up. Yes, I've gone crazy in my old age. We already have a dachshund (6 years old) and a spaniel (about 12 years old), and two cats. All animals have to be able to travel with us because we plan to hit the road shortly after retirement and since we don't have any reason to come home unless we want to, we have to take them with us!!!

Anyway, I'm working from home today, just finished a HUGE project and sent it out for inputs/comments. I'm expecting it back Nov. 15, but right now I have brain drain.

My short break is over, so I have to get back to work. We have more family birthdays and the holidays coming up. I hope I get thru them this year without crying all the way thru them because of missing my adult children and grandchildren. we haven't decorated in several years since no one comes anyway. I'm thinking this year we'll change that and get on with life.

Ya'll take care!!

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.