Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday, August 15, 2011

Today is a work day. My company is laying off people, and today I learn whether or not I will get an invitation to volunteer to go out. I'm torn - I've worked for the company most of my life since I was 19 years old. But I've been there many long years and am ready to go home -- just afraid of no income.

We've been busy - the Fort Worth Quilt Guild Show was the weekend of August 5 and 6 (Friday and Sat). Wow, that was a lot of work. we went to drop off my things for the show only to learn that the fellows who were supposed to unload the trailers (poles, braces, etc.) had left and the trailers were not unloaded. We stayed for a while and in the 110 degree heat Ken worked himself to a sugar low unloading. Fortunately some of the women who came also helped, as did one older fellow (yep, older than us!) and one young man. The other women sat on their behinds in the quilt room yacking!!!

We finally left for a bit - Ken needed food - but we went back and Ken helped set up the poles and braces and hung quilts. We all finally left, leaving quilts to be hung on Thursday. Neither of us went back on Thursday. The show was nice -- not as fancy as Trinity Valley but nice. I didn't put anything in the judging division, mine were just "filler" quilts. The Christmas quilt I made for daughter Brandi was hung with some of the prize quilts. I made it out of left over fabric from her Christmas dress back in 1990. I won't ever give it to her because she and her sister don't want anything to do with me and certainly don't want any reminders of their childhood growing up with me. Long story, sad story, but it happens. I love them anyway - it just hurts.

So, back to Colorado. We headed back to Texas, I cried most of the first day because I miss my son and his family so much. We stopped in Rotan, New Mexico again - already worn out, knowing we had to face the long drive back to Amarillo from there. We shopped a bit, ate a bit, then headed out. Oh, my gosh, the road went on and on and on as did the heat and the construction and the misery! We made up our minds we will not drive it again...we'll save $$, fly to Denver, rent a car!! But we finally made it back to Day's Inn East where we collapsed for a bit and then we called the limo and went back to the Texas Steakhouse -- more because we wanted to shop their gift shop than because of the food!

Back at the hotel we went for a swim then packed up some and crashed. We were not looking forward to the drive the next day. As we were leaving the hotel the Casey Anthony trial verdict was about to be announced so we were a bit late in leaving, wanting to wait until it was announced. We finally had to leave anyway. We learned of the horrible outcome via a Facebook announcement. How terrible that this young woman could get by with what she did!!!

The drive home was long, hot, long. We stopped in some small town (Clarendon or Childress?) at a gas station that turned out to be more of a variety store. I bought 3 fabric pieces (2 yards each). Only yardage I purchased on the trip - others were fat quarters. We continued on and the road seemed to become never ending. It didn't take us any more time than what we planned, it just seemed to take a very long time.

So, we got home, we hugged Tamara and the doggies/kitties, and then we crashed. Thank goodness we decided to come home on Wednesday instead of waiting until the weekend. It took all weekend to recover enough to go back to work!

On Monday morning I checked in from home and found the email announcing layoffs at work, approximately 1500 will be going out the door. Requests for volunteers will come out mid-August (today), volunteers will have a certain amount of time to say yes or no. If not enough volunteers come forward, then involuntary notices will be given out in September. I'm 19 months from full retirement - haven't yet decided about taking the package, but I'm ready to retire...just concerned about insurance and the reduction of income.

And so, that's about it for now. I went to a quilting class on Saturday, taught by Jonquelle Jones. She worked us to death, but I learned how to make a couple of different blocks. That evening we went to a "party" at friend Pam Thomas' home on Saturday evening. Yesterday (Sunday) we slept in (til 11:30 for me!), piddled around here, and then went to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner. Now time to head back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.