Sunday, September 5, 2010

Thursday, September 2, 2010

DH and I needed to "Get out of Dodge" a few days to escape reality. We booked into the historic Menger Hotel in San Antonio. Our wonderful friend Helen agreed to babysit the critters. We left very early, stopped in West at the Kolache shop (yum), then in Salado for early lunch. We ate at the tea room...cucumber & cream cheese sandwiches with tomato basil soup with ice tea...yummy. DH drove from Salado through Austin because I hate driving through Austin. we stopped at the outlet mall in San Marcus for a break...went into the Pottery Barn where we didn't find anything I wanted (believe that?), and then on to Lane Bryant where I could have spent the afternoon but didn't. I bought one outfit, thinking I would stop on the way back north.

I drove from Salado on to San Antonio - we got there as planned about 3 o'clock...wanted to miss the 5 o'clock traffic. Got checked in quickly...hotel and surrounding area was dead...nobody there. OMG, the room we had was the tiniest hotel room we've had in forever! No room to maneuver, but we made do...even with 2 scooters. And the bathroom was a joke. In addition, there was mold on the ceiling above the shower, the tub was stained, and the calking around the tub/shower needed to be replaced. Since we got it at such a good deal, we didn't ask to move. But we won't stay there again.

The Menger is located at the Alamo plaza next to the Alamo, so we had easy access. After check in we took our scooters on over to the Alamo and have been there many times. It never loses its hold on us. I was over at the donation box on one side of the Alamo and DH was going around reading the plaques with the names of the Alamo heroes. I heard a big commotion and a little scream/yell and people running. DH's scooter had turned over backwards and dumped him off on his back (and neck!!!) and he was on the ground. People were rushing all around him. Thought I was going to have to knock people out of my way to get to him. This is the second time his fancy scooter has done this. Altho' his scooter is snazzy, we are going to have to get a regular handicap scooter for him. Anyway, he managed to get up and I managed to get his scooter back together and we went on our way...to the building next door that sells Alamo memorabilia (sp?).

I found cookie cutters...at least that's what they sell. For me they are quilt stencils...one is a large Texas, the other is a boot. I also bought a "green" Alamo bag for carrying the "stuff" we pick up in SA. DH bought a new baseball hat and a mug.

From the Alamo we crossed over the plaza down Crockett to the Hyatt Regency and used their elevator to the river walk to find something to eat. The places all have steps up it seems...at lest the places on the Alamo side. But we stopped at Michelino's Italian place, left the scooters at the foot of the steps (took the battery off DH's and key out of mine) and ate on the patio. Had chicken alfredo. Ok, but nothing to write home about...Italian food to me is something you eat/fix at home when you don't have much $$!!! As a friend says, kinda like fried chicken...good, but not something I'm willing to spend a lot of $$ on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.