Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sunday Morning, March 11, 2012

It's granddaughter Courtney's 17th birthday. She has grown up so fast -- where did all the time go? Unimaginable how much I love that girl. but I feel the same way about all my other grandchildren, too! There's just nothing like grandchildren. It's like having children -- after the first one you can't imagine how you could ever love another child as much...but you do! Each one just reaches out and grabs your heart. I wish I could see everyone of them.

So, what's been happening? Ken had surgery on Tuesday of last week - yep, my birthday. That's about the 3rd or 4th time he's scheduled something so that I had to spend my special day at the hospital. But, at least that surgery is over! He's still having some pain with the right arm and hand but went to the doc on Friday and doc says it's normal.

Our little Luci had spade surgery (hysterectomy) on Thursday. I couldn't bear to leave her overnight so we picked her up late that day. She's had a tough time - been in quite a bit of pain. She and I slept in the living room that night - I had to give her pain med before it was time so she wouldn't be screaming. She's doing better today...but right now she's konked out from another pain pill, and so is Ken!

I was able to go to the LM Blanketeer's lunch Friday before last. Enjoyed seeing everybody; and then I attended the LMB quilting bee last Sunday afternoon. Really enjoyed that because one of the ladies had inherited several vintage quilt tops and blocks - absolutely beautiful. And Susan, our leader, has been working with her husband cleaning out his dad's place in Shreveport. In so doing she has inherited a beautiful vintage Kenmore sewing machine, several hand made crochet pieces, etc. Makes me want to get out several things that I have that Mother made. Just don't know what to do with them because my children will not want them.

On Saturday, March 3, I decided I wanted to make a quilt top. Been watching the Missouri Start Quilt Company tutorial on how to make one of the Jelly Roll race quilts. Didn't want to spend 40 dollars for a Jelly Roll so made my own 2.5" strips and then got busy. Wow! I ended up with a quite nice quilt top which reminds me of Arizona Sunrise or Sunset. and this one was so easy to make - I took it to quilting bee with me because the ladies wanted to know how one would come out. It's really cute. Now have to find fabric to put on a 2.5" border plus fabric to put on a wider border. I considered making the edging scalloped, but I think instead I will just round the corners. When finished this quilt will go to great niece Presley down in Lone Oak, Texas. She's my brother Gerald's granddaughter.

Oh, for that strip quilt, I used my little vintage Singer 221 Featherweight sewing machine. First time I've used it, although I've had it a couple of years! This is the crown jewel in my sewing machine collection, but I've been afraid to use it. Just love it; it did an amazing job. I have another quilt top to make that is slso a strip quilt top but in Texas strips. Think I'll use that machine again.

And speaking of machines! Cousin Judy traded me a vintage Brother sewing machine for a television for her daughter's room. This machine belonged to her mother-in-law but hadn't been used in forever - wasn't in such great shape, very dirty. I started jacking with the machine, cleaning it up a bit, everything on it moved, the bobbin case and bobbin were in it, it didn't appear to be as bad as I first thought. Wiring isn't good,and it was in a non-original cabinet with a knee control - and some southern engineering was used to wire the machine into the cabinet. Ken and I took the machine out of the cabinet, did some initial cleaning on it, decided it was not in such bad shape, then took machine and cabinet to Mr. Bruner to see have him check it out. He won't be in the shop until Monday, but we're anxious to hear what he has to say!

I had originally planned to give the Brother machine to another cousin for his wife (if the machine would run), but I'm thinking I'll buy Mason and Andrea a new machine instead (Walmart) and keep the vintage one!

We made our way to the Dallas Quilt Show at Market Hall yesterday -- dang rain and all. Fortunately the rain let up long enough for us to unload our scooters and get into the show, and then when we left it let up enough for us to get to the car and load them. We were somewhat disappointed this year with the show -- I was hoping to buy some pretty fabric to finish Presley's quilt, but there were not many vendors there with bolts of fabric, mostly fat quarters and small cuts. Didn't find what I needed, so will have to go to Cabbage Rose to look for it. Joann's definitely does not have it. In fact, Joann's doesn't seem to carry much of anything fabric any more.

Last year at the show we saw a demonstration by the folks who make the Easy Quilter track system. Can be used with one's home sewing machine. I saved money all year which got used for everything else under the sun, but save back enough of my severance $$ that this year when we saw them again I actually bought one! I can hardly wait for it to arrive. I cannot afford and can't justify having a long-arm quilting machine/set up, and don't have the space for one anyway. But at least with this one I can use my home machine to quilt smaller quilts. Last time I paid to have a quilt done by a long arm quilter it cost me over $60 and that was for a quilt that was less than 60" square!!!

Today is Sunday, but I have to work on this house anyway. Seems we don't have time during the week even though we're retired. We always have doc appointments, hospital visits, etc., during the week. I find the year is going by so fast and I'm not completing anything I thought I would when I retired. A lot of that is due to crippling depression - I recognize it for what it is. There just doesn't seem any reason to do anything. Why clean house? Nobody comes.

So, off to slay dragons - or to at least clean the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited, but they are reviewed for inappropriate language and content.